"Stressed" is "Desserts" spelled backwards


This is my new motto for the year - "stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards - whoever came up with this gem is literally amazing. I have taken it very much to heart.

This week should have seen a lot of progress on both my edition and dissertation, especially seeing as I have "mini" deadlines for both of these at some point next week. However, Wednesday saw the return of all our work from last semester, and though it was all quite good I still found myself in a hideous cross between laughing and crying on Thursday afternoon in the Library. And i'm not the only one! In-fact as you can probably guess from the fact that I am writing this post...my motivation levels still have not increased.

So I went hardcore.

I baked a Lemon Meringue Pie.





To be completely honest with you, I'm not even one hundred percent sure why I chose this particular dessert. I have to admit that I have never actually eaten, let alone baked, a lemon meringue pie. So this, was quite an adventure.

I grabbed a quick recipe off the Beeb and tweaked it a bit.


Lemon Meringue Pie

- Shortcrust pastry (either make your own, buy some ready-to-roll or just grab a quick ready made pastry case - trust me, I did all three - sodding uni ovens)

Filling:
- 190g caster sugar
- 2 lemons (zest and juice of)
- 1 free range egg yolk
- 1 and a bit tbsp cornflour (dissolved in a little milk)
- 175g boiling water.

Meringue:
- 3 free range egg whites
- 120g caster sugar
(-optional pinch of salt)



1) If you've made your own pastry or are using ready-roll stuff then prick it all over and use it to line an 8in/20cm tart tin.
2) Cover the pastry with greaseproof and fill with uncooked rice or baking beans
3) Blind bake in a preheated 200C oven for 18-12 minutes until nice and golden
4) Remove from the oven and empty of rice/beans/paper.
5) Reduce the oven temperature to 150C

6) Meanwhile, place the sugar, zest and juice into a small pan.
7) Mix the beaten yolk with the cornflour/milk mix in a clean bowl and then add to the pan of lemon and sugar.
8) Add the boiling water and then simmer over a low heat, stirring constantly, until its thickened*
9) Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

* This bit takes forever, I added loads more cornflour and it only started thickening once it started to cool. But keep going!

10) Once the filling mix has cooled then pour it into the pastry base.

11) For the meringue, whisk the egg whites until they are stiff (Do the whole Mary Berry, holding the bowl over your head thing!)
12) Add a tablespoon of the sugar and whisk in
13) Add the rest of the sugar whilst constantly whisking until its shiny and stiff peaks are formed.
14) spoon the meringue mix all over the top of the filling

15) Bake the pie in the oven (150C) for 45-50 minutes, or until the meringue is golden and crisp (but still nice and gooey inside)




Now, the Beeb says that its fine to serve either warm or cold. This really does mean "warm" and not hot. After spending so long baking it I really really wanted a slice and I cut it open too soon.....Now I have a baking tray covered in lemon goo.

Basically, my entire baking experience today was a bit mental. First, my university oven decided it was infact, not an oven. Therefore, my pastry was...soggy. Mary would not be impressed.
Then, I couldn't get my lemony goodness to thicken at all
And then the cutting/lemon mess disaster.


So, my endeavour to get less stressed through the making and eating of desserts has in-fact, failed quite hideously....

I'll be back next week with more, hopefully wonderful, baking experiments.

At least this ones edible...

And Craig bought me Pain au Chocolat/toffee and pecan swirls to cheer me up. Now if that't not love I don't know what is!


No comments:

Post a Comment